Sunday, March 11, 2012

Staycations vs Vacations

Spring is nearly here and the trees have begun blossoming, birds are migrating north, and the glimpses of warm weather are approaching.  Spring is my favorite time of the year, and would be absolutely perfect if the allergies didn't get in my way of fully enjoying it.

The closer spring gets, and knowing summer won't be too far away, I often think about just getting away.  Remembering those times when you can just go somewhere, sit back with a nice cup of hot tea and enjoy the scenery around me.  I'm sure many of you have those pleasurable memories as well.  Wouldn't it be great to live in a place that you could enjoy year round?  

Since vacations are expensive and not something our family has the money in the budget to do, we try to create a staycation that will last longer than a week away somewhere.  Instead of putting away money for a one week vacation we put money aside to create something more long lasting.  We love spending time outside, so our goal is to create an escape just outside our backdoor that we can enjoy nearly every day.  The money goes so much further this way and is enjoyed for a much longer period of time.  It's been so long since we have actually taken a vacation I honestly don't know how much the average family of 4 spends on one, but I can image by the time you include gas, hotel stays, eating out and entertainment, that for a one week I would estimate that you would be looking at around $1500 at a minimum.  I would much rather take that kind of money and put it towards something I can enjoy all summer long or longer.  Each year slowly adding to create additional beauty.  

My husband and I really enjoy sitting outside in the evenings after a long day working.  We invested in a screened in gazebo which we have enjoyed sitting under night after night during warm weather.  We sit and have our dinner outside together and enjoy good conversation. It is so relaxing and really helps us feel recharged.  It helps us be more connected with each other which may be why we are still best friends after  14 years.  I'm looking forward to doing a little more this summer with getting my garden back into shape after the dullness of winter.  

Our garden after it was first put together. It's expanding little by little and I will post another newer pic once a few more things are in bloom.   We have since added a few additional  plants so it is getting prettier.  

No comments:

Post a Comment