Monday, March 5, 2012

Murphy's Law

I really don't have much time today but wanted to just share a little about the accomplishments I made..or didn't make today.  I finally took the time to look over my budget to see how we were chugging along.  Well, like the rest of the country, making ends meet when gas prices have skyrocketed is becoming more and more of a challenge.  

Not to mention,  my oven has broken and the part we "think" has gone bad will cost close to $100.  So I have been creating meals that do not require the use of an oven until I get a chance to purchase the part...surprisingly, our meals have become a lot healthier by cooking on the stove top.  Our hot water heater is on the verge of dying (actually it has been "on the verge" since we moved in over 3 yrs ago but is still kicking thankfully), our dishwasher spin arm is beginning to hang and we end up with some very clean dishes on certain sides and some not so clean on other sides, and we have a cat who has had constant vet bills over the past 2 years with no clear diagnosis to what is wrong with her. Oh, I almost forgot to mention our 13 yr old car pretty much is to the point that it is getting us from point A to point B, but not much further (not to mention we've not had air conditioning for nearly 6 yrs in it which isn't so bad til the Carolina Summer hits).  

Now, the above is not meant to complain but just point out that something is bound to happen within that mess.  Murphy's law is trying to come on strong but that is when I realize how thankful I am that we at least have paid everything off (everything except the house which we are paying a little extra on every month).  We aren't going out and making super crazy purchases (although I'm sure we could still be a  little more cautious at times), we rarely eat out and we almost never go to the movies (thank you, netflix, for a little movie entertainment!)  We still don't have our emergency fund fully funded but it is funded well enough to get us by on some minor issues. I'd like to be able to see us get that baby fully funded more quickly but as most anyone knows, it seems like in life we get two steps ahead only to take a step back.  I'm seeing our budget doesn't have much room for tweeking at this point.  We have a little "play" room but anything just over a minor incident is going to  hurt.  I guess I will be looking over the budget a little more and see what we can do to simplify a few more things.  

No comments:

Post a Comment