Thursday, March 1, 2012

My Typical Day

We often find ourselves so busy that we hardly have time to to regroup.  Today has been one of those kinds of crazy busy days.  I am fortunate that I work from home and have a little bit of flexibility in my 8 hour work day.  Many people think of those who work from home have it made; don't get me wrong, it does have some fabulous perks, but it has many of the same challenges that having a job in a brick and mortar has.

My typical day is getting up around 6:30 so I can rush out the door by 7.  The bus doesn't stop by our house so I have to drive 10 minutes to take my kids to the bus hub.  I drop them off and for the past 2 months have made the decision that while I'm already out, there is no reason that I shouldn't stop at the nearby gym for about 25 minutes.  Over the years I haven't been so good to myself, between working and caring for my family, I have neglected to take care of myself, which many of you, I am sure, can relate. And, while I am not necessarily considered "over weight" I was moving up on the scales closer and closer to that point.  Worse, I could tell that I was losing muscle tone and was beginning to have a constant feeling of weariness.

Initially, the gym was a little intimidating being so out of shape and not having the stamina to really push myself.  As I've gotten older I've also started recognizing that I am an "all or nothing personality"; so I would have a tendency to work out, push myself to my extreme because "I was gonna do it this time!" only to discover I hurt so bad the next day I never wanted to do it again.  This time, however, I took a different approach.  I decided, okay, I have about 25 minutes...I can either push myself like I always do, and then not come back for 3 months, or I can make this a daily healthy habit and part of my routine and not focus as much on weight or muscle tone (although, I have to admit it is still on my mind) and just be consistent for once and it just be "what I do".

After my work out, I immediately walk out the door of the gym and rush right home so I can get started working by 8.  One of the perks working from home is that no one else has to look at me or smell me if I don't shower right away...I know, eww gross...but hey, I am saving up my time so I can be finished working early enough to spend family time in the evenings.  Often my shower comes just a few hours later.  I take a 30 min lunch break, jump in the shower and then throw something together so I can eat while I'm working. If I haven't taken too long of a shower, I might just have time to throw in a quick load of laundry.  Fortunately, most days I am finished with my "day" job by 4:30 or 5.  Then it's time to be mom.

So now what to fix for dinner?  I really try to plan ahead of time but it doesn't always work out as well as I'd like.  I will post more about meals and meal planning in another thread as that is a complete topic of its own! By the time dinner is done it's time to clean up and do dishes, if I haven't already thrown that load of laundry in the dryer, I will do that and if there is another load to throw in, I will do that as well.  Usually my hubby and I then have a few minutes of down time while the kids are doing homework and showers.

Since this blog is really about finding balance, you may be wondering...where is the balance in all of that craziness?  Well, I have found over the past couple of months going to the gym is actually creating more time and making me feel good...I feel energized and am able to accomplish more through the day and I'm in a better mood.  By evening I spend quality time with my family, particularly my husband as we discuss our days and what we are going to be doing for the week with our youth group....oh yeah, I didn't mention that we also are youth pastors... but that is DEFINITELY a topic for another day.  :)

So that is a general run down of my busy weekdays.  Surprisingly, I still am in bed by 10 or 10:30 on most nights.  Sleep is another area in which is important to have balance in your life.  Sleep helps you feel rested enough to take on the next day. It also helps prevent illness and I have no time to be sick!  So I do what I can to get as close to 8 hours as possible.

Well, speaking of spending quality time with family, that is exactly what I am going to do now.  Keep checking back as I have so much more to share!  Thanks for stopping by.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment