Thursday, May 3, 2012

Working to balance what appears to be unbalanceable

As you can see, it has been quite a while since my last post.  In the process of trying to keep things on the simple side I found myself giving up a few things for the sake of time and that included keeping up with my blog.  I have a full time career that keeps me very busy along with family demands.  I am certain that many of you relate.  While I would like to be able to be more consistent here and provide what is working for me and what isn't, my work hours are going to be changing up a bit, so I suspect it may add to complication....but who knows...maybe it will work better!

Anytime my life schedule changes up it throws me temporarily out of balance and I have to make an effort to put myself back on track.  I am currently frantically thinking ahead to planning out meal plans as my career takes me into working evening hours, including all weekend.  This means my hubby will be making dinner for us after he gets home from work.  Fortunately, I work from home and I will get to enjoy these home cooked meals.

Something I have not been so good at is putting my children to work on a consistent basis, and this is an area that I will need to make a higher priority.  I am thankful that at 11 (my son) and 13 (my daughter) my children do not do much complaining when I ask them to help me around the house.  I have found that it helps that I don't over burden them with demands but just request 1-2 simple chores to help keep the house picked up.  I also found that it helps to remind them on those occasional times in which they would like to negotiate, that we all live here and it is not fair for one person to have to do all the work...I lay on the pity party and try to encourage them to put themselves in my shoes by asking how would they feel to be the only one doing everyone else's work for them. This works most of the time.  :)

While most chores are not paid, I am trying to offer them ways to earn at least some money.  This past week my son worked very hard helping his dad in the yard and mowed the grass while his dad used the weed eater.  Then my husband edged our badly overgrown sidewalk, driveway and street front while my son went behind him and shoveled it all up into a wheelbarrow and hauled it to the back yard.  To be honest, while my son was enjoying knowing his hard work was paying off (literally), I think that he enjoyed just as much to be working outside with his dad.

After seeing my son outside, my daughter asked for ways she could make some money as well.  I had her do some of the chores I normally would not pay for, however since I had so many of them I was more than willing to give her the cash to get the house caught up a bit.  She did a great job of thoroughly cleaning out both our bathrooms.  I was so proud of both of the kids for all the hard work they put in that day.

Keeping a balanced life often means making sacrifices and while I hope to start spending more time sharing my experiences here, I want to be sure to take the time to thoroughly spend time with my amazing husband and kids...it's the simple things around us that we need to fully appreciate.

No comments:

Post a Comment